Last time I tried to deploy a web2py app to GAE was (apparently) years ago now. I remember it being pretty easy at the time, so I figured I could get it up and running pretty quickly yesterday. Not so 😦
There are a couple of tricks to it.
The process is (install the app engine sdk and copy of web2py):
1. create your application on your app engine developer Application Overview page
2. create an application skeleton using the web2py dashboard.
3. cp examples/appengine_config.example.py ./app.yaml
Ie make a copy in the root directory of your web2py directory tree. This is main trick #1.
4. Edit app.yaml to refer to the id that you got from creating the app on app engine (ie not the local web2py)
5. cp handlers/gaehandler.py .
So, copy the gaehandler to the root directory of web2py. This is main trick #2.
Then you should be ready to roll*
* use <path>/dev_appserver.py web2py to test,
use <path>/appcfg.py update web2py to deploy
The app will be available from <the Google app id you registered>.appspot.com/<the local web2py name of your application>/